Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking ahead 2012

Now that it's 2012 (I'm still not used to typing this) I decided to keep better track of things. From 2007-2009 I wrote down every film I watched on the day I watched it. For some reason I slacked off 2010, and last year. Since it's January 4th it wasn't overly difficult to remember the films I've watched the previous three days. This means that yes, I will be keeping a film journal for the year 2012.

Why do this you might ask? Well seems silly to justify this but well I watch a LOT of movies. Sad as it might be to say, sometimes I don't even remember what I watch (I've blogged about this earlier I believe, then again I might not even remember that). With a film journal I can say "Yes I did watch The General on New Years Day. The goal is to keep track of my viewings, these include features as well as shorts. Films I'm seeing for the first time, and films I'm watching a dozen times. Movies seen on DVD, Blu-Ray, my computer, TV, or at a movie theater. I generally don't indicate the source on my film journal, simply the movie, date seen, and year. I have on occasion contributed ratings to these films, which I don't always like doing immediately after watching, considering sometimes certain films need a little reflection. I do however think I will rate these films at the end of the month to the best of my recollection.

Each month I will be posting a list of the films I viewed the previous month. Perhaps a general overview of what was watched, perhaps more detailed descriptions of the really good, or really bad films. Maybe certain films seen may justify some explanation as to why the hell I watched it in the first place, and if deemed necessary I'll enlighten you. This journal is mainly for me, but well if you want to be exactly like me then I'll let you know every film I watch.

Since I've completed my top ten list the pressure to see every film from 2011 has waned considerably. When Oscar nominations are announced I'll renew my vigor and try to see all the nominees before the show. I still do intend to catch a couple films in theaters soon, and look forward to the films I missed making their way to the home video circuit. So for the next month or so I'm clearing up some space by watching the movies I've accumulated that were put aside as I researched 2011. So the order might seem very random, maybe a Raoul Walsh film followed by Peter Watkins, Maurice Pialat, Marco Bellocchio, etc. If I do decide to dedicate some time to a specific research project (i.e. resuming my Jack Ellis Film History book, or perhaps tackling Jonathan Rosenbaum's top 1000) you can clearly see how much of my viewing is dedicated to it.

Later this month They Shoot Pictures Don't They? is going to update their top1000 as they do every year. Not a single year since they've done this have I seen all 1000 films. I'm up to 999 now (damn you Stan Brakhage's Art of Vision), but each year there are usually a small handful of films I need to see to keep pace. Last year it was a whopping three I believe so who knows what this year will bring. Maybe at long last the Brakhage film will fall off the list and I'll be perfect, or maybe that film will screen somewhere, one can hope. Since this is one of my obsessions I'll be blogging about it when relevant.

In the meantime I will slowly continue my quest to know everything there is to know about cinema, wish me luck and enjoy the commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment