Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Essential Cinema - Introduction and First Tier

Oh boy yet again I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. After mulling over a list for awhile thinking “this will be a fun yet involved little project” I have again been pulling my hair out racking my brain trying to please all facets of the great god of cinema and well I failed. Not a complete failure, but there is no way in hell that my list will please everyone, or anyone for that matter. For every filmmaker, movement, era, and genre I have represented there seem just as many worthy that have been left in the dust. However before I lament too much further and make apologies that may or may not be necessary let’s go back a decade shall we? 

When I was still 18 and still tackling the world of cinema a book was published by the National Society of Film Critics. This book, called The A List: The National Society of Film Critics’ 100 Essential Films was picked up by me and I proceeded to do what I always do when I find a new list, see everything on it. Unlike previous lists, this one took awhile, in fact over 5 years until I saw Charles Burnett’s Killer of Sheep, the last film remaining in this book. It was around this time that Fred Schepisi’s The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith was finally released on DVD (or any home video format) and well I could finally close the book literally and figuratively. From the start this book had problems. For starters there were a host of films that made you scratch your head (Jailhouse Rock?), even worthy efforts that seemed a bit presumptuous (LA Confidential). Likewise there were just as many films that were left off that made you cry blasphemy (no Tarkovsky!!!).

Anyways I learned then as I hope my readers will learn now that there is no perfect list, especially when limiting to 100 films. Since the NSFC grouped a couple films together (Godfather 1 and 2, La Strada with Nights of Cabiria, Red Sorghum with Ju Dou and Raise the Red Lantern) I figured a few likewise groupings of similar films could suffice, which helps extend this list just a little over 100. As I’ve mentioned before when making lists, if there are more than 100 worthy films, why not make a list to include all worthy films? Well you get a bit excessive, and then you start to say “well if you have a film from Makavejev why not Kusturica, if Imamura is on there then where’s Oshima, and so on. I may point out that some if not all of these directors might be missing from this list. Oh well I tried to make as many people happy as I could but let us discuss that presently. 

The point of this list is introductory. In other words if you’ve never seen a film in your life you will find this list and slowly digest the most general, and hopefully well rounded sampling of all world cinema has to offer. This is a starting point, meaning each entry and selection can open the door to more diverse and varied options. Very few directors are represented more than once, and the few that are don’t necessarily think this is my way of saying they’re “more important” or even “more essential” but they just may need more than one film to represent themselves. 

For this reason there is an order to this list, and not alphabetically. This first entry is dedicated to the First Tier, a group of films designed to be seen first. Once you watch all of these films, proceed to the Second Tier and so on. The idea is to make this first group as accessible as possible. The films that I hope someone who has never explored cinema would watch and be encouraged to proceed further. For this reason the first group may seem like a list of films everyone and their mother should have seen. These films are very far from esoteric and none of them can constitute as being particularly downbeat. This should be a joyous occasion, you are venturing out into a brave new world, and I’d like you to enjoy yourself. So I would like to point out that the films in this first tier are in no way supposed to be the 8-10 greatest movies ever made, simply the first group of films you should watch. I debated for a long time how many films to put in this category. They need to be accessible, but well I didn’t want to bombard someone with a monumental list of films. These can be tackled in a week easily or a weekend if you’re particularly bored and highly motivated. The entire list may take time, and my apologies beforehand if some of these films are harder to find than others. I know from personal experience it can be infuriating to search indefinitely for that one or two films. 

The idea behind each tier is as follows: 

First Tier - You should have already seen these. Essentials that are part of popular culture, easily accessible, not the least bit challenging and over all damn entertaining films. 

Second Tier - The great films that you may need some context for. Certain films are among the all time greats but might go over your head if watched too soon. The first tier is designed to give you some context so that these films don’t go to waste. Some of these might constitute “downers” if you would but trust me they’re all worth it, and there may even be a foreign film in here, but if you made it this far I assume you know how to read (subtitles).  

Third Tier - The slightly esoteric masterpieces. When it comes to getting a little strange, possibly pretentious but still essential this is the group. Some of these films might seem a little alienating even at the second level so we bring them here. This is where most of those foreign essentials pop up as well as some more silent gems. The idea here is you’ve graduated to more “grown-up” movies and can handle things like subtitles or even a bit of a slower paced film. 

Fourth Tier - This is the all of the above/super esoteric. Even amongst the oddball films, there are even odder ones. When it comes to David Lynch I’d say you should see Blue Velvet before Mulholland Drive in order to prepare yourself. Likewise there are certain films that well might not be “as essential” as others. In other words Citizen Kane and the Godfather belong further up the list, whereas perhaps The Best Years of Our Lives and The Red Shoes may fall a little lower. I’m not saying these are fourth tier films for example, but just saying that well I have denoted an order to this progression. Only when I’m done with all four tiers will I offer an alphabetical list with each tier listed next to the film for an easy reference. I wouldn’t want to spoil it all by telling you the entire list right off the bat. 

I’ve limited this to four groups for now, and while I’m writing this I still have to decipher which films fall into which group. It would make sense by this breakdown that each group will get larger, making the overall list look something like a pyramid with the 4th representing the base. Now again try not to get upset if your personal favorite film is in this bottom rung, I’m not saying it’s worse than others, but hey at that point be glad it’s even on the list. After each film listed I’ve tried to offer at least a little reason as to why it’s on the list whether it’s representing a genre, a director, a country, an era, etc. Some films have multiple points of entry, although I don’t plan on offering detailed justifications for every movie on the list. 

So amuse me for a minute but I’ve decided to hold a fake interview to help answer some of the questions you may have regarding this list, the interviewing being done by let’s say Charlie Barker (CB)

CB - So what’s the difference between a list of the 100 “Greatest” films and the 100 most “Essential” films? 

Me - Well Charlie, “greatest” implies a certain level of relative aestheticism, denoting quality on a subjective basis. My goal for this list was to be as objective as possible. There are films on this list that perhaps I wouldn’t consider among the greatest, but enough people do or what they represent is important so they’re on here. Another way of describing it could be these are “must see” films. I don't eat pumpkin pie, but I understand it's place on the Thanksgiving table.

CB - So wouldn’t the “Greatest” films also be “must see” viewing? 

Me - Well yes but to a point. With essential cinema, this is a way of offering an introduction, a way to give a 100 film synopsis of the history of cinema if you will, without necessarily ranking these films. For example, Stanley Kubrick may be my favorite director, and my own personal top 100 list might have as many as 3 or 4 films from him on it, yet only one Kubrick film is on this essential list. I should also point out the influence of many of these films. After all Abel Gance’s Napoleon might be his “greatest” film, but due to its obscurity for many decades La Roue was his most influential, and still arguably his most important. After all La Roue was released in 1923 in time to inspire the Soviets with their ground breaking montage style, Napoleon on the other hand was released in 1927 and severely butchered. 

CB - Ok, I’m starting to see the difference, but come on surely there was some degree of “personal judgement” when making this list, wasn’t there? 

Me - Haha, but of course! I had only 100 spots here, so often times there may be a movement that I wanted represented, like say the Czech New Wave, but since there’s room for debate as to which film would be the “most essential” from this period I had a few options. The Shop on Main Street and Closely Watched Trains were for decades the best known and each won a best foreign film Oscar, yet recently films like Marketa Lazarova and The Cremator have become much better known and in many people’s eyes better films. In fact Marketa was voted the greatest of all Czech films in a national poll of Czech film critics. I admit I get to play god a bit but I wouldn’t say there are any outright blasphemous inclusions or exclusions where personal preference tainted the integrity of the project. 

CB - What was the hardest group of films to decide on? 

Me - The contemporary films. I mean it’s easy to look back on silent cinema and figure which films are worth including, which ones have stood up, how they’ve influenced others and so on. However with modern films who's to say what people will think of Inception 20 years from now? I tried to make my contemporary choices count. Hard to argue with Mulholland Drive after it was voted by nearly every critic to be the best film of the past decade, and it seemed fitting to try and include a few of the more noteworthy international films, but again I found myself being “extra” picky. The NSFC list was published in 2002 so they didn’t have to worry about what the best films of the 2000’s were, so I have to contend with trying to squeeze an extra decade into the same 100 spots. 

CB - What are the general criteria for inclusion on this list? 

Me - Well this is predominantly full length fiction films. I say predominantly because there are a few exceptions. After all A Trip to the Moon was quite an epic for 1902, and somehow I can’t imagine any list of required cinema viewing to be complete without this. Since the area is a little grey when it comes to The Man With a Movie Camera, I included it. Likewise I felt Errol Morris should be represented, after all The Thin Blue Line got a man released from jail for Christ’s sake. In the event of politically motivated Latin American cinema (which I felt had to be represented by at least one film) so much of it is documentary that I wasn’t going to exclude a vitally important film trying to decide if it fit unnecessary criteria. After all a film is a film, so that’s my justification. My apologies for non-fiction enthusiasts and devotees of avant-garde/experimental cinema who feel a great deal of neglect, but again “predominantly full length fiction films” to answer your question in 1000 words or less. 

CB - Do these films have to be watched in the order you list them? 

Me - Not exactly. I’m writing this under the premise that someone hasn’t seen any of the films. In that case I’ve tried to lay out this road map so that it makes the most sense and can offer the greatest appreciation as well as comprehension of the films included. The idea however is to finish all the entries on a given tier before progressing to the next one. I would assume everyone in reality has seen at least a few films from this list, so don't worry too much if availability dictates a slightly different order.

CB - How much of an influence was the NSFC list? 

Me - It was the genesis of this project. In many cases, trying to be objective I erred on the side of the original A-List book for certain choices. There are going to be glaring omissions that they have that I didn’t. Of course there are a few films that I’m not personally fond of but I couldn’t really argue with their status. I’ve consulted other lists, including the Village Voice Film Guide, The Sight and Sound poll, and They Shoot Pictures Don’t They’s top 1000 among others. So I tried to weigh everything as best I could and allow myself to be the final judge. 

CB - Now can you please shut the hell up and start this list already? 

Me - Sure here’s the First Tier . . .  

First Tier 

Casablanca (1942) - Dir. Michael Curtiz This is the first film on the list because I believe it is the first film everyone should see. Now here’s that subjectivity coming into place. I started my film odyssey with this movie some 12 years ago or so and I’ve never looked back, so if it’s good enough for me, then why not for you? Now there are plenty of films that people have no good reason not to have seen. Some times they’re just stubborn, but well I can’t imagine anyone having any reason whatsoever not to watch Casablanca. This first tier really shouldn’t even have to be justified, but my advice is watch this and then feel free to tackle the rest, but don’t skip past this and continue on down. I don’t care what order you tackle the first tier, but this needs to be first regardless. Then in any order except for the last  

The Godfather/The Godfather Part 2 (1972/1974) - Dir. Francis Ford Coppola I actually debated putting this in the second tier, because well it’s long, somewhat involved and not exactly a cheerful picture. However come on people it’s the fucking Godfather, if you haven’t seen it slap yourself, then boil a big pot of water, make a nice pasta sauce, cook some noodles, and have yourself a fabulous dinner of pasta while watching the greatest piece of American cinema from the last 5-6 decades. After all aside from possibly Casablanca and Citizen Kane this is probably the number one film people are going to tell you is the greatest of all time, and no one who mentions how great the original is won’t soon follow it up with how excellent the sequel is. Do yourself a favor next day off you have and there’s nothing happening (possibly during an upcoming snow storm), just sit back and spend the day with the Corleone family and you won’t be disappointed.  

Gone With the Wind (1939) - Dir. Victor Fleming, George Cukor, Sam Wood Hollywood at it’s most extravagant and arguably best, this is the epic for the ages. You have to be living under a rock to not know this film and who can’t at least quote a few lines of dialogue from it? For anyone who wanted to know just what made Hollywood such a magical mythical place during the Great Depression this is the film to behold.  

Psycho (1960) - Dir. Alfred Hitchcock Everyone has heard the name Hitchcock, as far as directors go he is as recognizable a name brand as the cinema has ever had. No one can call themselves even a moderate film fan without seeing at least one of his films. For my money Psycho isn’t just his best but his most accessible film. If someone is going to like any Hitchcock film it’s probably going to be this one. Think of all the lesser “slasher” and horror films that have come in it’s wake and recognize what true greatness really is. I still say I envy original audiences who were genuinely surprised at the climax. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, then consider yourself lucky and go see this classic before someone ruins that little bit for you. 

Singin’ in the Rain (1952) - Dir. Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly Oh yeah, this may very well be the most delightful movie musical ever made. If you hate musicals and lament over that gay burst into song shit, I dare you to not like this film. I dare you to say it sucks, or that you didn’t find yourself a day later humming at least one of the songs from it. Try not to laugh during the film either, and take a second to take in how easy they make it all look. The best musical ever made bar none, and if this doesn’t put you in a happy mood to watch more great cinema, then perhaps this whole project is lost on you.  

Star Wars (1977) - Dir. George Lucas Before money, power, more money, merchandising, money, and wealth got to his head George Lucas was a pretty damn good filmmaker. His early work showed promise, American Graffiti even got some attention from the Academy Awards and Star Wars took him to another level. There’s a reason why this is the most successful franchise of all time, and it started in 1977. Don’t deal with his “special edition” where he repeatedly rapes the film that we all grew up loving. After years of complaining they finally did release the original theatrical cut on DVD, watch this. It amazes me in this day and age that people still haven’t seen Star Wars and arguing this point with someone is about as successful as converting a Muslim over to Judaism, but like the other films above if not more so, there is no one on earth who shouldn’t have already seen this. Of course immediately proceed to Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Only the brave or incredibly masochistic need check out the pre-quels, so please don’t judge the franchise based on those.  

The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Dir. Victor Fleming Are there any people alive who haven’t seen The Wizard of Oz? Yes there are and one of them might be in my immediate family. That said this is one of those films that even if you haven’t seen it you probably already know every moment of it. So much of it has been referenced, quoted, and shown in countless Oscar montages that we can easily piece together the whole film. Like Gone With the Wind this is one of those iconic 1939 films that earned that year the reputation of being the greatest in Hollywood history. Not hard to argue based on two of those films representing the 8 in my first tier. So hold your horses musical haters, clearly you should have warmed up after Singin’ in the Rain. Very few shots moments in the history of cinema can rival that very first shot of Oz. 

And last but not least (but seriously watch this after the other 7) 

 The Gold Rush (1925) - Dir. Charles Chaplin I’m sure many of you might have noticed the abundance of not just Hollywood films, but “talkies”. I made a point of making this first tier as accessible as I could while emphasizing the most important. For many years Chaplin was the most recognizable figure in the world, and this film may give you a good indication why. It’s hard to imagine after the critical success but commercial failure of A Woman of Paris people wondered if he could regain his comic supremacy. An ambitious project this was the longest and most expensive comedy ever made (circa 1925 of course) it also became the most successful. My fondest memory of this film was watching it around 11 years ago with a friend who was just about 18. He was born in Mexico and didn’t grow up raised by TV and Looney Tunes cartoons. He didn’t know who Chaplin was and he had never seen a silent film before. I put this movie on and he laughed harder than anyone I’ve ever seen watching a movie. I was able to understand what audiences saw in 1925, who didn’t know what to expect, who never saw any of these iconic bits, and it proved to me that even 75 years after it came out this still had the power to make people laugh hysterically on a first viewing. Some people may argue that City Lights or Modern Times are better films, but none can equal the iconic status of The Gold Rush, and what better film to offer as my first silent feature? 

Stay tuned for the Second Tier . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment